Dreamspark - The software is free not the DVD.

Saturday, December 20, 2008

As soon as Microsoft Dreamspark was announced in India, I was eager to get the Dreamspark DVD. So, I went to the Indore centers for collecting it. But , I found it surprising that i would have to pay for it. Here's the story in detail -

One of the centers was asking for attending a workshop costing Rs.550, to get the free Dreamspark DVD. Then, I rushed to the next center for getting the free DVD. Actually, I was like investigating about it at every center. I took myself as an authority being an MSP ;) The second center was asking for Rs.50 for the DVD, they said the software is free but not the DVD. I told them its clearly written "Collect DVD containing software at no cost" on Dreamsparkindia website. But the personnel sitting there was so rude and unprofessional that he declined to give me a proper answer. I even purchased the DVD(for Rs.50) and asked for a slip but he said "I cannot give it" . And he has not asked me for any student verification too. Its like selling the DVD. Now, I inquired about the Dreamspark DVD at the third and last center of Indore. But came know that the center was closed 2-3 months ago.


After all this, I contacted MSP india team to inform them about all this. They took action and the centers for indore got a representative from Hughes(the co-sponsor of Dreamsparkindia). I contacted him and asked about the DVD. But I got the same answer that the DVD is not free, its the software. Though he was really polite, professional and helpful. I'm not complaining about Rs.50, but they should make it clear on their site that DVD costs Rs.50. So that people like me don't begin to investigate and snatch the title of Sherlock Homes "The best detective". ;)

2 comments:

Saurabh said...

That was really interesting to know. I think the DVD would be free but these guy's are just charging a fee more so for their own profit or in order to minimize wastage of DVD's!

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Saurabh, it might be to minimize wastage of DVD's. As people may misuse it, if they get it for free.